Episode IV – Pinewood Cemetery
Our fourth episode shines some light into the dim history of one of Miami’s oldest burial grounds, Pinewood Cemetery. In this small oft-forgotten graveyard, many early settlers of South Miami and Coconut Grove are buried. Their crude and eroding tombstones, set amongst overgrown natural vegetation, recall life and death in what was perhaps little more than a frontier town. Many lack names to mark the frequently short lives they remember.
The cemetery itself has had an interesting and somewhat mysterious history, occasionally revered but often neglected as a city grew up around it. First used as a burial ground in the 1850s, it currently sits in a plush residential neighborhood, hidden to many passersby and even some neighbors: local residents have even been known to uncover human remains while digging new pools. Thanks to recent restoration efforts, this once forgotten graveyard is now a pleasant, albeit spooky, place to relive the memory of Miami’s earliest days.
The music in the episode is Brazilian Rhythm by Sunsearcher.
- Graveyards & Gravestones – a page with pictures of most of the remaining gravestones and markers visible at the cemetery.
- Pinewood, Coral Gables Remembers its Pioneers – a Miami Herald article about a recent Pioneer Day celebration held at the site.
- Pinewood Cemetery – the city of Coral Gables official webpage about Pinewood.
- History of Pinewood (Cocoplum) Cemetery – Oby Bonawit - Tequesta, Volume 38 (1978) – a history of the cemetery including a list of burials gathered from gravestones, markers, and oral accounts.
- Pinewood Plot Map – a detailed map of all the pots of Pinewood Cemetery and the people buried there.
Biscayne Tales is a podcast about the history of Miami and South Florida. We hope that the episodes will appeal to Miami residents and visitors alike, encouraging them to start their own exploration of the city's people and places. This website is intended to accompany the show and provide additional materials and links for the curious.
Thank you for listening.
April 2015 M T W T F S S « Feb 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30